Community Use of Schools
Antigonish County Recreation in partnership with the Strait Region Center for Education (SRCE) manages community use of two local schools:
- Saint Andrew Junior School (SAJS), Appleseed Drive
- East Antigonish Education Centre/Academy (EAECA), Monastery
Through this partnership, not for profit groups/organizations, businesses, private groups and/or individuals may request the use of school facilities for their activities and/or events. Please see booking procedures, applicable fees, and contact information below for additional details.
All evening and weekend usage are scheduled and coordinated through Antigonish County Recreation (see Booking Procedures and Booking Contacts below). You can view the community use schedules by clicking on the links below.
Please note, two schedules for SAJS are posted: one for use of the gymnasium only, the second for all other rooms in the school. Revision dates are written at the top of each schedule.
ST. ANDREW JUNIOR SCHOOL SCHEDULES
- Saint Andrew Junior School (SAJS) Community Use November 2018
- SAJS Gymnasium: Gym Schedule November 2018
- SAJS Soccer Field – Summer 2018 Schedule
EAST ANTIGONISH EDUCATION CENTRE/ACADEMY (EAECA) SCHEDULE
- EAECA All Rooms: East Schedule May 2018
If you wish to book either school for your community event/activity, contact Antigonish County Recreation. Do not send fees or forms until you have contacted the Recreation Programmer to determine the availability of the facility and which fees are applicable.
Charged to all groups regardless of their nature: not for profit, businesses, private groups, etc. Fees are due at time of booking and payable to Antigonish County Recreation. The monthly fees are the same whether you use the school once a month or several times a month.
- $20.00 for one time use of classrooms, labs, library, etc.
- $25.00 for one time use of gymnasium, multi purpose room or cafeteria
- $30.00 per month for regular, continuous use of classrooms, labs, library, etc.
- $50.00 per month for regular, continuous use of gymnasium, multi purpose room or cafeteria
Charged only to organizations/individuals that do not fit under the category of “not for profit” – such as businesses, governments, private, etc. Groups submitting rental fees are also charged the administration fee. Fees are due at the time of booking and payable to Antigonish County Recreation.
As part of the management partnership, the Recreation Department collects the fees on behalf of the SRSB and remits them to the Board regularly. The rental fees are set by the Strait Regional School Board to view these fees click here.
Charged for events that occur outside of normal janitorial hours (weekends or late evenings), and/or events that require set-up, clean-up etc. Groups will be invoiced for the janitorial fees after the event has occurred in most circumstances. Fees are payable to Antigonish County Recreation. As part of the management partnership, the Recreation Department collects the fees on behalf of the SRSB and remits them to the Board regularly.
- $18.00/hour Based on a 4 hour minimum call-in.
Antigonish County Recreation in partnership with the Strait Region Center for Education (SRCE) manages community use of two local schools with the below facilities available for rent.
EAST ANTIGONISH EDUCATION CENTRE/ACADEMY
EAECA is a P-12 school located in Monastery, Antigonish County. This school is about halfway between Antigonish town and Port Hawkesbury. This school houses a large gymnasium, cafeteria/performing arts room, and many large classrooms. This school is mainly used for sporting events in the gymnasium.
ST. ANDREW JUNIOR SCHOOL
SAJS is a Junior High school for grades 5-8. It is located at 2 Appleseed drive in Antigonish. The school has a gymnasium, multi-purpose room, cafeteria, library, cooking room, sewing room and about 30 classrooms. The gym is mainly used for sporting events (basketball, volleyball, dance competitions). The cafeteria is good for larger meetings and can be opened up to join with the Multi-purpose room if more space is needed. The Multi-purpose room is used for anything from fitness classes to large meetings to plays (also has access to a stage). The library is great for small meetings and workshops. Classrooms are most often used for small community education classes or small meetings. Many of our community education classes happen at this location.
- Gymnasium: 800
- Multi-purpose Room: 185
- Cafeteria: 385
- Library: 40
- Classrooms: 25-30
The Pavilion is located at St. Andrew Junior school and is available for a variety of functions including but not limited to the following:
- Outdoor Classroom for students to host activities and for teachers to hold classes in the outdoors
- A venue for outdoor recreation activities such as after school programs and community recreation programs
- A sheltered stage for community performances and events like Canada Day Celebrations
- A comfortable outdoor environment for students to socialize during recess and lunch